Sunday, April 3, 2011

Here's to Beginnings....

I'm full of excuses. Really. The only thing I'm better at than making excuses is complaining. That being said, my weight loss has been stagnant for months now. The boyfriend, on the other hand, thinks about losing weight, and BAM! does so with little effort. Good for him, bad for competitive me. To those of you who are able to hold yourselves accountable: Kudos! I need an external force, a reward, a competition, anything really besides myself because when I face the facts, they're hard and cold: I'm lazy and negative sometimes (read: most of the time). Both are terrible habits that I'm committing to ending today.

My loving boyfriend has agreed to accompany me on this quest, and I am very grateful for this because it will give me three things: competition, support when this starts to suck, and someone to hold me accountable when I start making excuses.

All good quests have a goal, and we hope that our quest will lead us to a lifetime of "passive fitness." Passive fitness is something the boyfriend came up with, and I think it is something we should all strive for. Passive fitness is living a healthy lifestyle out of habit and desire rather than the rapid weight-loss crazed people who want a quick fix. Being passively fit means we will have hobbies and lifestyles that keep us fit. I don't want to live a life of working out, I want to live my life out. Outside. Out with friends. Out on the town. I work enough at my job, I don't need another thing to work at. Our goal is to enjoy activities like biking, swimming, running, playing tennis, rollerblading, etc. so much that we do them on a daily basis because we want to spend quality time together, we want to relax, we want to play. We'll get fit and remain fit because our lifestyles leave us no choice. Life is too short to be working two full-time jobs, so hopefully my working-out will be enjoyable quickly.

That being said, this is going to take a lot of hard work at the beginning. I've got to learn to quit procrastinating and stop making excuses. My short-term goal is a sprint-distance triathlon on July 9th. Before you think I'm setting my sights too high, it is swimming 200 yards, biking 7.5 miles, and running 3 miles. Not too bad in the months that I have. I plan on using this blog as another method of accountability, recording my workouts, food intake, and experiences to share with everyone (or no one). The boyfriend will be posting, as well.

Finally, one last procrastination before I begin: pictures, weigh-ins, and measurements will have to wait until tomorrow. This girl has to get in bed!

Choochie out.

No comments:

Post a Comment